Wednesday 27 January 2010

Holocaust Memorial Day.

Today being the 27th of January makes it Holocaust Memorial Day, the day when the Russian Army went in and free'd the Jew's emprisoned and subjected to humiliation, torture, experiments, starvation, brutality and death under the order and rule of Adolf Hitler. This is a subject I feel particularly strongly about and something I believe should be remembered and payed attention to for the rest of time. I've been interested in the subject since I was little and read the Diary of Anne Frank. When you read it, you feel a sort of connection to her. You grow to love her and feel like you know her...then the diary ends...you know she's gone. When I closed that book, I had the most overwhelming feeling of sadness.

I could go on about this for days, how unjust it was, how I feel for these people and how it makes everything in my own life seem so trivial. I have the highest respect for the survivors, for everyone who was in the concentration camps, everyone who suffered, who was surrounded by death and bodies. I hope today, that people think about the Holocaust, even if it's just for a second. As horrible as it is, it's something we all need to face. I chose a picture from 65 years ago today, the day they were free'd from the Camps;


No comments:

Post a Comment