Friday 5 March 2010

Sally Mann

At first I thought Sally Mann's "Immediate Family" collection of photographs was all about the over sexualisation of children and how they grow up too fast...especially in the photo of the small blonde girl smoking, so when I found out that these photo's are of her own children and she deemed some of the photographs to be natural...it struck me as odd and I was quite taken aback. To me, the pictures show the absence of all of the good things we find in our childish selves and above all, the absence of innocence...but appaently this isn't the case, they're about intamacy and how she has seen her children (ie; in sickness, naked etc). My other thought upon viewing this series of photographs has always been "What Mother has allowed her child to be photographed in such a way?" Turns out their Mother is the photographer! I chose to put this picture up as it has always eerily stood out to me. Perphaps it's because it looks almost Victorian.

No comments:

Post a Comment