Monday 7 June 2010

Josephine Baker

An inspirational woman. She was a member of the French resistance during the war, received the Chevalier of the Legion of Honor award, she was a dancer at the Folies-Bergère (famous for wearing nothing but a string of banana's around her hips), brought together what she called a "Rainbow Tribe"; her adopted children of many races (move over Angelina Jolie) and also one of the earliest ambassadors for French haute couture, reviving French fashion after the war.

"One day I realized I was living in a country where I was afraid to be black. It was only a country for white people. Not black. So I left. I had been suffocating in the United States... A lot of us left, not because we wanted to leave, but because we couldn't stand it anymore... I felt liberated in Paris."

No comments:

Post a Comment