Tuesday 6 July 2010

The end of Harry Potter is nigh



Okay, so I'm going to be what some may consider a 'nerd' (which is what I was called for reading these books on the little yard when I was 10 anyway) and write a big fat long post about how sad I am about the end of Harry Potter, and about how much J.K Rowling affected me as a child. One Christmas, I opened up a book-like parcel (I had lots of book-like parcels) to reveal a book I had never seen before; Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone. This would be my introduction into a world which I still to this day, at the age of 18, wish I belonged to.



I remember being 11, hoping to get my Hogwarts letter. I remember being gutted that I didn't get it, I was convinced I was a witch and I belonged there. I'm still gutted over my lack of Hogwarts letter... When the movies came out, it was like a dream come true. That music at the beginning will always make me think of how magical it all was and still is for me. Seeing the film for the first time left me so excited. :)



I grew up with Harry Potter and his adventures. I laughed at every funny moment and cried at every sad one. When Sirius Black died, I sobbed. When Fred Weasley died, I sobbed. When Snape died, I sobbed. When the books ended, I sobbed. It was the end of waiting in line really early to get the next book. It was the end of having my head buried in the books, dying to find out what happened next. My favourtie Potter books are probably 'The Prisoner of Azkaban' , 'The Order of the Pheonix' and 'The Half Blood Prince.' I also have all of the little Comic Relief books she made and 'The Tales of Beedle and the Bard'.

"Oh, very good," interrupted Snape, his lip curling. "Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.''



Me with the final book in 2007, July 21. Obviously hadn't begun it yet as I'm not cryng on the picture.

Now, the movies are coming to an end, and it's like the end of an era...everytime I think about it or watch the movies, I get choked up. I've started reading the books from book 1, yet AGAIN, just to feel like it's not all over. I'm also going to have a 'Potter-a-thon' with my friends, like in Yes Man.
:)

4 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you feel. I've unbelievably never read the final book, sacriledge I know, but I've never got around to reading it, but I remember the sheer level of imagination and atmosphere to all of them, I really could loose myself completly in them. They were a whole new world, I have a fervant enough imagination as it is, but Harry Potter just fired it more...I could believe I was there, living it with them! Incredible stuff. Loved it all. The Order of the Phoenix is still my absolute favourite of the series, maybe because the way Potter was going as a person sort of tallied with how I was feeling at the time. Great tribute though, good blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really eats me up inside so much :( I've started the books again and have the movies on constant repeat! :')

    They really draw you in. I remember just trying to make myself a part up in the story, :P Sad I know, but it was great :) I know what you mean about believing you're there. It takes you on a big emotional rollercoaster :(

    Thankyou again Adam :D xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heehee, well if you're sad then I'm equally so, as I did exactly the same! I was there with HArry, Ron, Hermione and everyone. Right next to them, living it all with them :D It is crazy, and it geniunely leaves you emotionally exhausted, the mark of a good book :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwh this was the Shell i always used to pass by in the corridors =') I sound really old but from a pretty petal to a beautiful blooming flower!

    Loving the Tenacious D with Dave Grohl poster also ;)

    Can't believe the last book was in 2007 though, seems like it was only yesterday!

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete